NADRA Complaint Management System
Who is eligible for POC?
All Pakistan origin immigrants, foreigners and their family members with annulled nationality.
Under the rules, following persons can apply for POC, namely:
People of Pakistani Origin: This includes three types of persons:
Former Pakistani Citizens:
- Any person who does not currently hold Pakistani citizenship
but has ever remained a Pakistani citizen in his/her lifetime.
Following persons are however, excluded from this category,
- Any person who was deprived of Pakistan citizenship by an order
passed by the Federal -Government under subsection (2) or
subsection (3) of section 16 of the Pakistan Citizenship Act, 1951
(II of 1951).
- A person who ceased to be a Pakistani citizen upon creation of
Bangladesh pursuant to subsection (1) of section 16-A of the
Pakistan Citizenship Act, 1951 (II of 1951).
- A Pakistani citizen who was domiciled in the territories of the
hitherto Province of East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) but who,
before 16 th December 1971, ceased to be a Pakistani citizen and
acquired the nationality or citizenship of a foreign country
(excluding India and Israel) unless he or she can prove at least
one of his living relatives to be presently a citizen of Pakistan.
- Any person currently holding citizenship or nationality of Israel
or India .
Foreigners with links to Pakistan :
The following persons are eligible to apply for POC in this category, namely:
- A person who has never been a Pakistani citizen but any of whose
parents or grandparents is/was a citizen of Pakistan at any time
during his/her lifetime, provided that
- At least one of his living relatives is presently a Pakistani
- He is not, and never was, a citizen or national of India or
- None of his parents or grandparents has ever been a citizen or
national of India or Israel unless such parent after having
acquired Pakistani citizenship never acquired/re-acquired
citizenship or nationality of India or Israel.
Any person who has never been a Pakistani citizen but who either
himself, or any of whose parents or grandparents,
- Was born in the territories included in the Indo-Pak sub-continent;
- Was domiciled in the territories now included in Pakistan;
- Who acquired the citizenship or nationality of a foreign state or
country before the commencement of the Pakistan Citizenship Act,
1951 (II of 1951) i.e. 13 th April 1951. Such person shall have to
prove that at least one of his living relatives is presently a
Pakistani citizen. This category however, excludes all persons who
are, or have ever been, citizens or nationals of India or Israel.
Pakistani citizens stranded in Bangladesh, i.e. those who continue to be citizens of Pakistan pursuant to the first proviso to subsection (1) of section 16-A of the Pakistan Citizenship Act, 1951 (II of 1951), may not apply for POC.
Pakistani citizens who are holding dual nationality or are only on work or residence permit in a country outside Pakistan, are not eligible for Pakistan Origin Card (POC) but eligible for National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis (NICOP).
Was this article helpful?
Help desk software